Friday, May 6, 2011

Honoring Motherhood

In honor of Mother's Day, I wanted to do a post as my way of honoring all moms, grandmas, great grandmas, stepmoms, moms to be and all those who have the "momitude".  Often there are those women who just take on that role of "mothers" giving advice, helping out, acting like moms but not really moms at all.  We love you too. 

Unfortunately my own mom passed away over 20 years ago and her death has left a void in my life.  If you have lost your mom, you know what I mean.  They may be gone physically but still they are in your heart.  There is nothing like a mother's love.  It seems though we never appreciate all our moms did and who they were until we are moms ourselves.   We finally realize the sacrifice and devotion it takes to raise responsible children, to nuture them, teach them right from wrong, and help them through the disappointments and rejections in life.  It isn't a job it is a vocation that never takes a day off.

If you are a mom, grandma or any of the above, I praise you for all you do.  The days are long and the work is endless.  It is the hardest job on the planet but the rewards are worth it.  You get to be part of watching another human being develop and grow into an adult.  You get to share in their journey from infancy into womanhood or manhood.  You are part of the miracle of birth or are blessed to be parents to someone elses child.  

Then, of course, there are days when you seem invisible.  You work hard and nobody seems to notice.  Or those times when you make a great meal and all you get are complaints.  I feel your pain.  I wish you comfort when you feel sad because you have a sick child and feel so helpless.  I offer you a cup of joy when you finally get the laundry all done and you want to shout with glee but nobody cares.  I have for you a box of tissues when you are in tears because you just found out you have to make 5 dozen cupcakes for your son's school tomorrow and it is 7:00 p.m.  For all the times you've held a crying baby and walked the floor, I give you a medal of honor and some Tylenol PM to take when you are 60 years old because that's probably the only time you'll get a good night's sleep again. 

When I had my first child, I was very young compared to today's standards.  I loved being a mom and still do.  It is my greatest joy.  I never wanted a career or to be famous just to be somebody's mom.  I love babies and little children but those little children don't stay little for very long. They grow up and get married.  So what starts out as being a mom can lead to becoming a grandma.  All the hard work of raising your own children was well worth it when your child blesses you with a grandchild. When you hold that grandbaby in your arms for the first time, there are no words to describe the feeling. 

My granddaughter Hannah is now 11 and such a blessing in my life.  I couldn't wish for a sweeter, more loving granddaughter than her.  She has the heart of an angel.  She is so sensitive to others and very caring and loving.  I am so touched by the things she does and says.  She has many talents and is gifted in her school work as well as in drawing. I pray that she will always keep the sweet spirit that dwells within her.
So in honor of Mother's Day I want to leave you with this poem that I've had for a very, very long time.  I don't know who wrote it but I feel it is appropriate.  Your children are everything, but wait, the other surprise is just around the corner.

The Love and Devotion I Gave To My Child
I Thought I Could Give To No Other
But Life Had A Wonderful Surprise For Me
The Day I Became A Grandmother

I wish you all a very blessed Mother's Day and may it be filled with the love of your family who will shower you with appreciation for each and every thing you do.  May you have a day of peace and tranquility, relaxation and pampering as you deserve the best.  Without mothers, our world would never know the true meaning of unconditional love.

Until next time, remember a mother's love is never failing, never lacking and always present.
Hugs
Kathy 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Kathy!! Hannah is a beautiful young lady!!

    My mom is with us physically but her spirit is gone. She no longer finds joy in seeing us or her grand children and there is little we can do anymore to make her feel special. This will be a very difficult Mother's Day for me because of that. But I will rejoice in the time spent with my hubby, kids and Lili and even the time with my mom.

    I wish you a very Happy Mother's Day!!

    Lots of hugs from my coast to yours!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by. I personally read all comments and thank you for taking the time to leave them.